Copas is a dispatcher based on coroutines that can be used for asynchroneous networking. For example TCP or UDP based servers. But it also features timers and client support for http(s), ftp and smtp requests.
A server or thread registered with Copas should provide a handler for requests and use Copas socket functions to send the response. Copas loops through requests and invokes the corresponding handlers. For a full implementation of a Copas HTTP server you can refer to Xavante as an example.
Copas is free software and uses the same license as Lua 5.1 and 5.2
Current version is 2.0.0 and was developed for Lua 5.1 and 5.2.
Copas can be downloaded from its Github page, in the "Downloads" tab.
You can also install Copas using LuaRocks:
luarocks install copas
Copas depends on LuaSocket, Coxpcall (only when using Lua 5.1), and (optionally) LuaSec.
- Copas 2.0.0 
removeserver()function to remove servers from the scheduler (by Paul Kulchenko)
- Added: client requests for http(s), ftp, and smtp (like LuaSocket/LuaSec, but async)
- Added: transparent async support (handshake, and send/receive) for ssl using LuaSec
handler()as a convenience for full copas and ssl wrapping
- [breaking] Change: the loop now exits when there is nothing more to do
- [breaking] Change: dummy first argument to new tasks removed
- Fixed: completed the socket wrappers, missing functions were added
- Fixed: connect issue,
step()errorring out instead of returning
nil + error
- Fixed: UDP sockets being auto closed
- Fixed: the
receivePartialfunction for http request support (by Paul Kulchenko)
- Copas 1.2.1 
- Fixed bad version constant
- Fixed timer issue
- updated documentation
- Copas 1.2.0 
- Support for Lua 5.2
- UDP support
- suspending threads
- other minor updates
- Copas 1.1.6 [18/Mar/2010]
- Now checks to see if socket.http was required before copas
- Copas 1.1.5 [07/Apr/2009]
- Fixed bug reported by Sam Roberts on the Kepler list (found due to Xavante locking up on some POST requests)
- Copas 1.1.4 [10/Dec/2008]
- Fixed bug [#5372] - copas.connect is semi-broken (found by Gary NG)
- Copas 1.1.3 [19/May/2008]
socket.protect(feature request [#5274] by Gary NG)
- Copas 1.1.2 [15/May/2008]
- Fixed Bug [#4249] - bugs in copas.receive (found by Gary NG)
- Copas 1.1.1 [13/Aug/2007]
- Compatible with Lua 5.1
- Refactored by Thomas Harning Jr. (for more details check Bug 766)
- Patch by Gary NG concerning the handling of stopped sockets
- Copas 1.1 [20/Sep/2006]
- copas.addthread() added
- Copas 1.0 [17/May/2005]
- copas.step() added
- Copas 1.0 Beta[17/Feb/2005]
- First public version
Copas was designed and implemented by André Carregal and Javier Guerra as part of the Kepler Project which holds its copyright. Copas development had significative contributions from Diego Nehab, Mike Pall, David Burgess, Leonardo Godinho, Thomas Harning Jr. and Gary NG.
For more information please contact us. Comments are welcome!
You can also reach other Kepler developers and users on the Kepler Project mailing list.